Tuesday, February 06, 2007


Good music / lack thereof

Without descending into a rant about the state of music *yawn* in the club scene I have recently been despairing about the good ol' days. I spent a week in London in December and if it hadn't been for the steady supply of strong liquor chasers and Magners cidar that has suddenly become de rigeur I wouldn't have made it through the clubs. The music is garbage, re-cycled 4x4 beats with a lame voice over by [insert dragqueen / diva name here].

Completeley by chance I was in a club in Amsterdam called Studio 80 recently, and was leaning against the wall in the toilets waiting for the multiple people in one locker to exit when my eyes were caught by a striking poster of one Luke Slater. I used to listen to his music back in 97 and 98 and was blown away by his mind fuck progressive futuristic blaze of beats. It turns out he was playing there the next week. I spent that week digging out my old CDs, getting them on my iPod and working out to them / cycling to work remembering how much fun they were.

He's got a huge body of work since I last bought anything, and I see also that he's now signed a contract with Fabric London to play there 5 times a year - next gig is on the 25th March. I'm so there :-) I can recommend the first disk of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's the best workout CD ever .. more later when the rest of my amazon container arrives, oh and more on the night as well!!





No comments: