Thursday, March 15, 2007

Puck me tender ...

I think one of the highlights of my trip to Davos was the night out to the ice hockey playoffs. I hadn't been to an ice hockey match since I lived in the states (my little brother was in the bantam league) and this was a serious game we were going to: violence was expected, anticipated and in the air. We (that being Daniel, Rui, Nik and myself) were thoroughly searched upon entry, so thoroughly that Nik's box of matches was opened one way and then the other! Anyway we arrived early and made our way over to the home side standing area which was already thronging, after beering up (conveniently served in trays of 8 - see below) there was a sudden stroke of genius to head over to the less heavily populated neutral supporting area. We got seats :-) the night progressed and Davos totally dominated. Beer flowed continuously, Zurich's supporters lit sparklers ... and Davos erected the most enormous flag you've ever seen:


The game moved very quickly and whiplash was a distinct possibility if following the game was your goal. Players literally appeared out of no-where! We were unfortunate in that we were the other end of the rink when the first and second goals were scored within a few minutes of each other (I confess I was beering up during the second) and irritatingly the third one was also scored at the other end. still there was a nice camera man on hand to give us the pixilated version.

The match continued and we all got fairly thrashed, the pictures are vague and messy but worthwhile so I'll include them to give you an idea. I even came back with 8 beer and a bratwurst at one point, my waitressing skills have never been so capable!















... that was the 'extended' last interval's drinking















and look what it did to us!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and well now we are beating the other club of zurich, the airport team, called the kloten flyers to the grounding. two more wins to go and we stand again in the finals, where probably the club of embassys, out of the swiss capital has to be eliminated for holding up the swiss champion cup. i will anounce and organise some sitting tickets for all the fellas...

Juliàn's Playground said...

we are in the finals and we play tonight... check sf.sport.tv
greetings from the peaks in davos

dano

jcrw said...

Hey Dano! I am so watching that tonight, will go to the link.

What's your email, I asked Nik but he hasn't replied yet ...

James